Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Just when you think times are tough......

It all started yesterday. The doctors decided they wanted to do an MRI on Casey to see what was causing his blurry vision. We arrived at the MRI room and Casey laid on the table and went in. The technicians got in there booth and started their program, suddenly we all hear a help, help with lots of commotion going on they rescued Casey from the machine. His interpretation of it all: (They tied my head down and straped my arms down and put a towel over my eyes so I couldn't see, then they pushed me in and jammed my head in a cage. Then suddenly there was a loud noise as if the whole machine was going to fall apart. So I started kicking my feet and yelling help! help!. I was sure the whole machine was falling in on me. They assured me they could fit a 360 pound person in there. I say there is no way they could squeeze a hotdog between my chest and the roof!) Needless to say we learned Casey was claustorphobic. So they put a mirror above his head so he could see me standing at the end of his bed. We successfully completed the MRI. The results came in today and everything looks good. Hopefully his vision will clear when the chemo and all the other meds stop.

Today Casey decided he wanted fish and chips for lunch. His mom cheerfully jumped at the opportunity to serve Casey. A couple hours later we got a phone call saying bad news lunch is going to be late and you are going to get a new car. What was really funny is she told me over the phone that it was just a little fender bender. Then 2 minutes later she called to see where she should get the car towed to. I went to pick her up and laughed so hard because the whole front tire of the car was shoved into the the car. What damage a little fender bender can cause. We love Apryl and love having her here. It gave us something else to worry about and gave us quite the laugh. I tell you there is never a dull moment around here. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Also, it's Casey's birthday tomorrow, he will be the big 35!!! Congrats for him he is quite the trooper and always has a smile on his face.

Just a thought: A wise man once told me if money can fix your problems you really have no problems.

19 comments:

Heidi said...

When it rains, it pours!! It's about time for a new car anyway right? That's a perfect present for Casey's birthday!! Love the MRI story--I needed a good laugh!

Garrett said...

Casey, I would have thought all those swirlies we gave you would have solved that clostraphobia thing:) It's great to see you laughing and smiling. You are in our thoughts and prayers all the way over here in Michigan. Your blog stuff is super sweet!!

Keep up the good fight & Happy Birthday!!!

Garrett

Jill Johnson said...

Oh well, at least it wasn't the Suburban. You wouldn't have been able to get anywhere.

B Griffeth said...

Needed the laugh. I must admit, I would have never thought about a hotdog. Tanya was bustin' up. All that hood work for nothin'? We all thank Apryl. Sorry, you could have had the blue Honda a few months ago. Happy Birthday tomorrow and thanks for the daily update.
Brian and Tanya

Jim said...

Greetings from Joanne and Jim and family Casey. And what a way to spend your birthday. You are certainly in our prayers and thoughts every day. Your strength comes thru clearly no matter how far away we all are.

Leavitt Crew said...

Hey Casey, would you like me to go to Wal-greens and buy you some glasses? I wish you would hurry and get back to church, Primary needs a sub.

Paula said...

Casey - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
Dan also has claustrophobia. When he had an MRI, he had to take a valium. So you doing way better than him!!
Hang in there - we love you.
Paula

Melody said...

Casey - have as great a birthday as you can with hospital food etc. We are praying for you.

- the Baxters

Brianne said...

(imagine this sung in my very beautiful voice)

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Casey happy birthday to you.

That was a very funny entry, I must admit. You two should have entered the blogging world earlier.

Thank you for not challening Nate to shave his head. I would much rather see Brians bald head (or the uncles, or even cecil).

Love you guys, have a great day Casey!

Justin/Shannon said...

Hey casey this is shannon from up here in Canada. We read everyday what is going on. It is nice to see and know what is happening. We went out to beazer on Tuesday with Jodi and your kids. Between Jodi and me we had 15 kids. The kids are having alot of fun. I tried to explain to the kids who I was but I don't think they made any connection.
Justin talks about you alot and really wishes he could be there.
Anyways Happy Birthday Casey!!
We love you and hope to see you soon!
Love The Heningers in Aetna

Brianne said...

Casey. Happy Birthday! Hi Lani. This is Nate, sneaking under Brianne's name. You guys are inspiring. If I could deal with life's little inconveniences the way you guys deal with life's interuption's, I would be a better man. Casey, I hope you are practicing with that golf club on that pepper. We got plenty of houses to bean along the golf courses when you are released. I'm curious what you would do with a hot dog, if in fact you could slide one between the MRI tube wall and your chest.

sheridan said...

i'm sure apryl isn't the first nish to do a little damage to a vehicle.

justin/shannon said...

Hey Casey, Happy birthday. Sounds like you are still having fun. Those mri machines are pretty interesting,my mom had to have a few tests in them too.That is too bad about the car. I hope things are working out for you and I hope to see you soon. You're in our prayers. Justin

Lynn said...

Casey
WE all hope you have a super birthday party. We are all jealous that we can't be there. Thanks so much for letting the kids come to visit. We love them.
Dad--Happy Birthday. How was your day? Are you okay? I got a huge bubble wand and went to see GG Martin. I helped Grandma build a car. Maybe Grandma Nish can borrow it. Love Aubree And how's Mom?
Dad--I love you Dad. And I miss you. I went in the hot tub tonight.

Lynn said...

WE ran out of room.
Max is still writing. I hope you feel better. I saw a brand new baby calf. Love Max.
Dad--I went in the big red truck with Grandpa for a long time. I love you. Happy Birthday. We had a birthday party for you with cake. I love you. Sam

Lynn said...

Sam says he loves his Mom and his Dad.

Nana Jo said...

Hi Casey, We love your blog and we are so glad to read regularly of your progress! "You rock!" (as they say). FYI, I found out I was claustrophobic in the middle of my first MRI also! I went from calm & compliant to frantic and desperate in 2 seconds--sound familiar? My technicians also had to immediately stop everything and GET ME OUT! With a little valium and Jim standing nearby with his hand on my feet I finally got through it. Perhaps claustrophbia flits through families like left-handedness, eh? It's funny... now. :-)

Megan(smith)Frazier said...

Hey Casey and Lani
You guys amaze me! It's been a long time. Keep up he great spirits. I love you both, you trully are in my prayers and thoughts from Utah.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Love Megan(Smih) Frazier

Kimberly said...

Aunt Apryl is the best! She's always doing what she can to make us smile. Congratulations on a new car and another birthday, Casey. :-)

Claustrophobia must run in the family. Mom can't even get in an elevator without having trouble.