Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Life in Seattle

Well I made it to Seattle. It is very nice and green here, alot different from Las Vegas. I arrived late on Monday night and we stayed at a hotel the first night it was nice. On Tuesday I went to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA). I met the transplant team and they are very well organized. I have learned a couple of things about treatment. I learned that Chemotherapy does not pass the blood brain barrier. They then informed me that they will have to do a spinal tap to find out if there is leukemia hiding around my brain, if so I do not know what they will do to kill that. Most likely they will have to remove my brain and wash it in soap and then replace it!! Also on Tuesday they took alot of blood samples out of Wade and me. I then had to recount the time since I was diagnosed up to today. She, like all other doctors told me it was a miracle that I am alive. She seemed like a good doctor. On Wednesday I had to have a chest x-ray, and a lung function test. I was kind of worried about the Lung test as the last trasplant my lungs collapsed, but I passed the test. I then had to meet with the financial people to make sure that my insurance was in order. They always want to make sure they will get paid. I think that they know more about my insurance coverage than I do. I also had a EKG. The last appointment was with the transplant Dr. He told me that this is no guarantee of a cure. It was the same talk that I have had with all of my other Doctors. I call this the "Cover their butt talk", and they always end up the same with the Doc saying you have nothing to worry about.

The place that we are staying at is extremely nice and very comfortable. We have our own entrance with a basketball court right outside of our door. The people who own this house also have a circa 1950 Chevy truck in the driveway, definately our type of people. So all in all we are very comfortable, and extremely thankful for the apartment to stay in.

We also went to the famous Pikes Market this afternoon and then ate supper at Ivers.

Thanks to all who leave comments, even Aaron Johnson left a comment under the name of his wife Jill. He must be kind of bashful about using his real name. Anybody have suggestions of must see places in Seattle?

Thanks for all of the support that I have recieved from friends and family.

Casey

11 comments:

B Griffeth said...

Hey,
Could you get Tanya McDreamy's autograph while you are there? Love that Grey's Anatomy!
Thanks,
Brian

Brianne said...

Glad you made it safe and that things are going well. Are they still planning on the 18th for your transplant?

Brianne said...

P.S. - Nate sends his love.

Kaufman Family said...

We are glad things are going well. It sounds like a lot of tests. Good luck!!

Aaron said...

Since the big man upstairs has now decided that cancer won't get you--it appears he is sending you to the flood--Good luck Noah!

Tina Folsom said...

It's great that you can have a sense of humor through all this. Glad you made it there safely and have a place to stay. Good luck with everything and as always, you're in our prayers!

Kimberly said...

I like the thought of removing someone's brain and washing it with soap. I can think of a few people whose brains I would like to wash up a bit. :-)

Seriously, though, good luck with everything. I'm glad you have a nice place to stay, and that you have good doctors. We'll be thinking of you. Stay positive. Lots of love to you, Lani, and the kids.

diforbes said...

Hello Casey,

Welcome to Seattle! I'm glad that your initial appointments at the SCCA went well. Feel free to call me if you have any questions about Seattle or the Centers here.

- Dean Forbes
Media Relations Manager
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center/SCCA
206-667-2896

Jill Johnson said...

A couple things to do is the aquarium. I think it is pier 49 or close. It was way fun it will take all day. You can also take a harbor tour that will take you through the locks into lake Washington. It was way cool. Seattle was originally built on the shore and it flooded so many times they rebuilt it on top of itself. You can take an underground tour of the old city. It is cool too. As for the washing of your brain make sure they use antibacterial soap and not just the good smelly kind from Bath and Body Works.

Heidi said...

So glad you made it okay---your doctors sound like they're gonna take good care of you. But if they suggest brainwashing, run for your life!!! Please share pictures with us of all the neat places you go to.

Now if only I could get you and Aaron to leave comments on my blog....

Amy and Brad said...

If you've eaten at Ivars that's the really important thing :)