Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tests and More Tests




This has been a very busy week with tests. I don't think NASA does that much testing on the space shuttle. This week so far I have had these tests, MUGA, X-Ray, Spinal Tap and a Cortasol test and it is only Wednesday.




The MUGA test was kind of different as they put radioactive isotopes into your blood stream, they then put me into another tube (Why is it that medical testing equipment is all tubes). The machine had two parallel panels and a TUBE. This machine was cool, as I laid in it with the Isotopes emmitting whatever they do, it slowly made a picture of my heart and how it works. Lani calls it the sandwich machine.
The Spinal Tap was the most exciting one so far. For this procedure the Dr. had me curl up into the fetal position and hold it. He has to get right into my spine and collect some fluid. Simple plan that went wrong. The Dr. numbed the area and then proceeded to push a TWO AND A HALF INCH NEEDLE into my back, right when he was in the right spot he hit a nerve which caused my calf muscle to contract (like a charlie horse). The Doctor then left the room and returned with another Dr. who was able to get the job done but did go in at the next vertebre.

I met with the Infection Disease Doctors as well. They congratulated me on the fact that I have missed getting two infections. The bad news is that there is Aspergillis (fungus) growing in my lungs. They have put me on two different medications, one to kill it and one that stops the growth. I reminds me of being on the farm mixing chemicals, usually 2,4d as the base and some other chemical mixed in. The good news is the Doctors compared my CAT scans to the ones in Vegas and their has been improvement.

11 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

Sounds fun!!! I sure miss you guys!

Jill said...

Oh, ew. Spinal taps. You have my pity. I hated those things.

Good to hear Lani's up there with you now. As always, we're praying for you guys.

Heidi said...

Good news, good news. I never tire of your sense of humor Casey!

Lani, I'll sure miss you tomorrow night at Naomi's annual holiday party...I need u there to do the games with me!!

Take care you two :)

Kaufman Family said...

Hang in there Casey. Too bad you missed the game. That place sounds nice to give you little perks like that. Good Luck!

Keli said...

Fungus, gross!

Improvement is good. Isn't that what we're going for here?

Best of luck!

Brianne said...

Casey, thanks for the birthday song 8 days late.

The Merrill's said...

Sounds like there's never a dull moment!! Hang in there Casey.....you can do it!! Thinking of you both.
Love, Wes & Wendy.

Darrell and Alissa said...

So glad to hear there's improvement! you are a walking miracle!!!!

Berta said...

I know that spinal needle. That is how they test for polio - and I had it. Here is ajoke for you. As I was walking down the street I saw two guys argueing. When I got closer I heard them argueing in Chinese. I said, "Hey you guys. Don't you iknw you are in America? Speak Spanish."

camille kempton said...

Casey, so glad you made it out of the sandwich okay. That stinks that they keep doing test after test. They are probably just finding ways to get money from the insurance company at your expense. Jerks! You could probably go into nursing when this is all over with. I bet you know as much as they do by now. Take care.

Tina Folsom said...

I'm glad Lani made it there. I'm sorry for all the testing you have to go through but I'm glad you have such a great sense of humor. I'm sure that's what keeps you going sometimes. Hang in there! We love you guys!