Thursday, September 11, 2008

Has it been a month already?

Sorry for the lack of updates time has just flown by over the last little while. I finished my first round of chemo therapy. It was nice to do this on an outpatient basis, it has been a blessing as we were able to continue business as usual. My counts are low and I have absolutley no immune system, Zero white blood cells and the other day my platelets were at 1. I often wonder if healthy people wonder what their ANC, WBC counts are at. Probubly none if any would waste time to figure this out. The small tumors that were showing up on my body are slowly disappearing very slowly. In the middle of this I was called to be in the Bishopric. It will be a very interesting calling.

I was at the infusion yesterday for 6 hours. I was only supposed to get two bags of platelets. The two bags were quite full so the nurses thought it was closer to four bags of platelets, so I should be well stocked up for a couple of days (hopefully) The upside is that I met two people who have cancer as well. One had CML the other had MML. After talking to them I feel very lucky to have AML. One of the guys was sprayed with agent orange, I guess they used this chemical in Veitman. The government did not know that it would cause cancer but several years later it shows up it is a type of bone cancer, very, very painful.

I am very thankful for what health I do have and for the support. I met a lady tonight for the first time and she shared with me about her cancer. Apparently she has been reading my blog for quite a while. It was interesting to hear her side of how cancer has affected her life. We agreed that the hardest part of fighting cancer is that your body just cannot keep up with your mind. Your mind can still go super fast and want ot get lots of things done but your body just cannot keep up anymore.

What is intresting to me is when I am selling life insurance and share my story, the people dont get it. I mean here I was a perfectly healthly person one day and the next day I have cancer. Some people look at me like I am crazy, others are in denial, very few people take the time to protect the ones that they love. I don't know but it must be greed thing. If they only knew how much I wished that I would have purchased more insurance. Anyway enough about what is bothering me, life is good and is only getting better.

Later.

-kc

8 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

Hey thats good. Life is good and only getting better. You should be a speaker or something. You need a better name like John Bytheway. We could work on that.

Heidi said...

Casey, your humor and positive outlook never cease to amaze me. You and Lani definitely would make a killing as motivational speakers! We will miss being in the same ward with you guys, but I know we'll still see you often. I'm glad we listened to you and bought life insurance for me!

Maren said...

I think when people are healthy it is so hard to think about "worst case scenario" possibilities. For one, it is unpleasant, and it is also just not pressing because it isn't happening to you now. It does not seem as urgent as the rent, or the football game (BYU vs. UCLA 1:30 tomorrow), or other everyday things. It takes a certain maturity and foresightedness (I think I made up a word) to be prepared for the worst.

By the way, I am Lani's cousin's (Brian's) wife. We like to keep tabs on you so we know what to say in our prayers :)

Melissa and Brandon said...

Well sounds like your doing good considering the challenges. I hope you and your family are holding up. Hopefully things continue to improve and the next round (if there is one) goes smoothly. About the Insurance, it's something I should look into. I'd think you be a great salesman, I guess it just hits a little close to what can really happen to them. We wish you guys all our love, support and best wishes for getting better.

Tanya said...

You have been through a life changing experience. Your life will never be the same. I am so glad to see that you and Lani made the best of the horrible situations you have been through. You two are amazing and very inspiring to me. When we went through the loss of our babe, it was your strength and determination to make the best of things that has really helped to get us through this. Life is so short, our life as well as yours has been changed forever, and our perspective on the every day things has really changed.
You are going to be such a great asset to your ward. You have a neat spirit about you, one that is very humble. We are so happy for you and your family, and for the new adventure this is going to be. The blessings that your family will receive, and feel through your service are amazing. Best of luck to you. We love you so much, and pray for you daily. love ya lots, and miss you tons!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations on your new calling, Casey! You are going to be great in the bishopric!

Cam and Coralee said...

Hi Casey,

Our jaws about hit the floor when we found out you were put in the bishopric. Wow, the big guy must have big plans for you! Glad you are feeling relatively well despite the low counts. Isn't it funny how our lives revolve around counts and most "normal" people haven't the foggiest idea what that even means. Great news about beating down the tumors. Keep riding the wave. You have an amazing take on life. We never know what is around the corner do we? Sometimes it seems like it is the exact opposite of what we expected. Say hi to Lani. We think about you and her and you little family a lot. Take care.

Brianne said...

Congrats on the new calling. You will do great!

P.S. send Lani my love.