Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Missed Vacation

Not too much has happened since the last update. The Latest round of Chemotherapy ended on November 3 at 5:30 am. I was home by 6:00 am cooking breakfast for the soccer players the reside at my home. Then we went to three soccer games. It was soo much fun. Sam scored Three back to back goals. Max played a good game. I was only able to watch part of Aubree's game in order to get Sam to his game. That was the best part of my week.

I went to the Doctor on Monday only to learn that my platelet count was one or dangerously low. They sent me to the transfusion center to get 2 units of platelets. While I was getting my transfusion the only thing to do is visit with the other patients which can be very interesting due to my impaired hearing, and lets face it most older people have hearing problems as well. The last thing that is left is watching people. I learned that rubber gloves must be very expensive as the nurse dropped a rubber glove on the floor, obviously not one to tolerate waste she quickly picked it up and put it on. This made me very ill and wondered if this happened when she was working on me.

Tuesday I was low on Blood and had to return to the beloved transfusion center. This time I took Lani with me, being a caring husband I told her to drop me off at he front door and return about 6 hours later to pick me up. She insisted that she wanted to come with me to at least see what this place is like (she can't say I didn't warn her). We got seated in the transfusion room. The people were very diverse. One gentleman had just gotten a new prescription, this brought his total to 27 pills daily. WOW!!!! I feel better about myself. The guy next to my had some sort of a problem with his knees. It is weird how this really helps me to keep my life in proper perspective. I went there every day that week. By the end of the week I was getting sicker and sicker.

Thursday Dr. Sanchez drew some blood cultures to see if I was getting an infection. The cultures would not be back until Monday. Friday I continued my routine of getting blood transfusions. My mother came to stay with me while Lani was in Disneyland. Saturday morning Lani and Brianne packed up to go to Disneyland!!! I woke up with blood shot eyes so bad that it was harder that usual to look in the mirror, and a fever. After alot of convincing, a reluctant and worried Lani went to Disneyland.

Monday, my blood draw was not good and the results of the blood cultures were worse. The blood draw showed that I tested positive for a Staph infection the type of Staph I do not know. My platelet count was 0 (Zero) which is dangerous. Apparently, my brain could have bled and killed me or another organ could bleed and cause unknown amounts of damage. The Dr. admitted me to the hospital. I left the Dr.'s office and waited for the hospital to call when they had a room for me. I was admitted into the hospital at 6:00pm, they started to do blood transfusions at 11:00 pm, apparently they needed almost 12 hours to get ready to do this transfusion. Saturday the Dr. had my Hickman catheter removed as it was the cause of my infection, I will have to stay here until my counts recover. As much as I hate being in the hospital, it has been comforting to have someone check on me closely.

There has been no news in regards to Seattle. We do have a couple of leads for places to stay but nothing solid, again if anyone can help us in this regard it would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have been trying to help us find a place in Seattle, I know that if there are lots of people looking, we will find something.

Casey

13 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

You are in our prayers - may your counts recover quickly!

I love reading your blog but haven't been good about posting. Wanted to let you know that we have stayed at the Ronald McDonald house in Seattle and it was fabulous. Don't know if that is an option but thought I'd mention it. Feel free to email if you want more info about our stay there (alnielson@gmail.com)

Rest up! Say hello to Lani for me, too.
Love,
Amy

Heidi said...

You have been thru so much Casey--you're always in our thoughts and prayers. We hope you get good news this week regarding Seattle. Hang in there..you are one tough guy!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Casey- we are praying for you as well- you amaze and inspire us! I wish I knew someone in Seattle, or close by- we'll keep looking!

Alan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alan said...

Casey - I have a lead for you for a place to stay in Seattle. Give me a call, and I can talk to you about it. My cell phone is (702) 279-5241.

Alan Zabriskie

Brianne said...

We sure missed you in California and wish you could have been with us. Thanks for letting us intrude on you guys and for letting Lani and the kids take us to Cali.

Love you guys and miss you already. It was so nice to see you!

Brianne

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the update, Casey. You and your family are in our prayers. We are trying to help you find a place to stay in Seattle, but we don't know many people there. Are you sure you can't do your transplant in Florida? We'd love to have you.

Congratulations on having such great soccer players at your house! Charles has been anxiously waiting for Aerie to get big enough to play soccer with him. She's had a soccer ball since before she was born.

Kina and Nathan said...

Casey, you are in our thoughts and prayers!!

I have a friend that I went to school with who is from the Seattle area and I asked her to look around for places for you to stay. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I'll let you know what I hear!! We love you!

Kina and Nathan said...

So, while I was Rick's College, 70% of my roommates where from the Seattle area so I sent out an email to see if they could look for some place for you to stay if you still need it. Can I get some more info form you? Do you have any place lined up to stay yet or do need some place to stay right off the plane? My good freind Kyle said he could let you stay with him for a few days until we find something else more long term. He just doesn't have the space for a long time. But I figured if you need some place right at the beginning that might work. Let me know as soon as you can so I can let him know what to look for. Kina

Kina and Nathan said...

my email is kinasmit@hotmail.com or leave a message on my blog at kinamartin.blogspot.com

Tina Folsom said...

We hope something will come up quickly for your stay in Seattle and we also hope you're feelin well enough to go there. Good luck as we continue to pray for you and your family.

The Merrill's said...

Hey Casey & Lani,
Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, hopefully things will work out in Seattle. We are thinking of you and your family, if we can ever do anything for you on our end please don't hesitate to ask. You are in our prayers!!! Hang in there.
Love, Wes & Wendy.